anaphylactic shock

Mother of teenager who died after suffering from anaphylactic shock from a nut allergy has launched a campaign to free up access to EpiPen injections.

download

The Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland (PSI) will not object to a mother’s campaign for wider availability of the life-saving devices.

It has made its decision despite assurances by the society that it has not made any directions to its members in relation to banning petitions.

More than 7,000 people have signed the online petition since it was launched.

Emma Sloan died on a Dublin pavement from an allergic reaction to peanut sauce in a buffet restaurant just days before Christmas.

Her mother is now sending petitions to businesses all over the country as part of her campaign to allow EpiPens to be freely available in schools and restaurants.

She said she hoped her campaign would make injections available for use by restaurant staff and teachers who could use them to help counteract the potentially fatal effects of an allergic reaction to certain foods, such as nuts.

She told The Irish Independent, “”Parents of those children should be given identity cards which would allow them to get an EpiPen in a pharmacy.”

Tags: ,